Saturday, August 29, 2009

My Last First Kiss

So much has happened in the last couple of months that I have absolutely no idea where to start this blog. Life has been such a mix of happiness, sadness, fun and stress!

In my last full blog I mentioned that I had plans to see Noche Flamenca at the Spoleto Festival. The plan for the night was to meet Audrey at her husband's restaurant Il Cortile Del Re where we had dinner and a couple glasses of wine. Earlier in the day something happened that most certainly changed my life.

I was so tired of the back and forth with Teresa that I decided to start dating. With great hesitancy, I joined a dating website and would occasionally browse other members. There were several people that I thought were attractive and occasionally I would receive an email or a "smile" from someone interested in me. After a lot of thought, I decided to get a paying membership and start contacting people on my own. I was a paying member for weeks before I actually had the nerve to send an email to someone!

There was this one girl that always caught my attention. She had the greatest smile and whenever I would browse members I always stopped on her profile. Her name was SunnyRN68 (or something like that). I assumed that she was a happy nurse and born in '68... kind of obvious! I decided to send her an email because I just couldn't get her smile off my mind. I didn't want to give too much information or be too forward because of the whole rejection thing. I mean, this girl was really cute and I just didn't think she would be interested in me! The email that I sent was short and sweet and basically said that I always stop on her profile when browsing because her smile was amazing. It took everything I had to press the "send" button, but I did.

Two days later I received an email response... her name was Robin. The email was pretty short and she asked me a couple of questions about myself. I responded and put my phone number in the email in hopes that she would call me. The afternoon that I was going to see Noche Flamenca I received a phone call from her and we talked for a while. The conversation was flowing and there wasn't a moment of awkward silence! She told me that she was going to a party in James Island that night with friends and I told her about my Spoleto event. I had to cut the conversation short because I still had to get dressed to go out. I asked her if I could call her on my way downtown because I really didn't want our conversation to end! I hurried and got dressed, jumped in my Jeep and dialed her number and talked to her until I parked.

I met Audrey and we had a fabulous dinner and then headed to The Cistern for the concert. We hitched a ride with some of her friends on golf carts who were also going to the show. One of the servers at the restaurant suggested we bring a tablecloth and sit in the grass because the general admission seats were in the very back. After getting more wine at the event we spread out the tablecloth near the front and were told by a Spoleto worker that we weren't supposed to do that. We sweet talked him a bit and he went to ask the manager who gave us the okay. We had an amazing view! During the show I received a text message from Robin asking if I wanted to meet up after the show. I responded and said I would call her later.

During the last Flamenco number it started raining and both Audrey and I got drenched. Our golf cart friends had already left so we walked the several blocks back to the restaurant. It was a full moon and Audrey, an acupuncturist who is a former theater major, howled loudly, which startled the lady across the street from us. After a couple more glasses of wine I departed the restaurant and walked back to my car where I called Robin. She was still at the party in James Island and we made plans to meet at Patrick's.

When I got to Patrick's I was so nervous! First of all, I was wearing a skirt and sweater which I would never normally wear to the club and then I had been caught in the rain earlier in the evening so I looked like hell. Thankfully, I had those glasses of wine so I wasn't freaking out too much. I told her to call me when she got to the club and we would meet a the door. I parked all the way down at the end of the lot. When she called to tell me she was there I heard voices in the background. I said "Are there people with you?" and she said "Yes" and at the point I freaked out. She wasn't supposed to have people with her! How unfair! I was alone and didn't have support with me! Ugh! I was totally nervous at that point, but there was no turning back. I wanted to see that smile in person!

The walk to the door of the club was unnerving. I could see the three of them standing there as I walked for what seemed like a mile. I tried not to touch or fix my hair or clothes and attempted to walk confidently. I could see all of them watching me and it took everything I had not to turn around. I couldn't believe she brought people! When I finally arrived at the door Robin gave me a big hug and introduced me to her friends. We went inside, got a couple of drinks and found a table so we could watch the drag show. Thankfully it was a night that Teresa was out of town or decided to stay home!

Robin and I chatted non-stop about everything and anything. It was so easy talking to her. Her smile was even better in person and I thought she was totally hot. It seemed so natural being next to her that at one point I actually put my hand on her knee. I felt like I had known her forever. Her friend Tina managed to drag Robin to the dance floor during the intermission to do the Electric Slide (yes, they still do that here!) and before she went out she apologized in advance for her dancing and asked if she could get a second date even if she danced poorly. I said yes... I didn't watch her dance because I had say hello to some friends and use the restroom. When I got back we continued our conversation and stayed until closing. She said her car was at the party in James Island and I asked her if she wanted a ride. I wasn't ready for the night to end and all I could think about was how I was going to go about kissing her goodnight! She accepted my offer for a ride and we were off to James Island!

When we arrived we sat in my car and talked for hours! I can't remember the last time I had felt so at ease with someone. She was smart, cute, funny and totally odd, which I found to be quite charming. Finally, around 4am, we decided that it was late and both needed to head out. Earlier she asked me if I would be interested in going to see the Riverdogs game on Tuesday - of course I was! In rapid fire our final conversation went like this:

Robin: So, you are going to be careful on the way home?
Me: Yes
Robin: And you are going to call me when you get home?
Me: Yes
Robin: And you are going to the game with me on Tuesday?
Me: Yes
Robin: And would you like a kiss goodnight?
Me: Yes

And that is how I met the love of my life.

No comments: