Saturday, June 12, 2010

Chicken Fried Corn and the Sand Loofah

This past week went by so fast! My cousin Denise was visiting from Illinois and unfortunately I had to work most of the week. I don't think that bothered her much because that gave her time to lay out on the beach every day. Once again, I'm reminded of how fortunate I am to live here!

Last Saturday we decided to spend the day at Botany Bay. We packed the car and the cooler and headed out for a day at the beach.

Getting ready for the beach was no joke. I'll be the first to admit that I've gained a few pounds since moving back to South Carolina (okay, more than a few!) and when I put on my bathing suit I felt like a stuffed sausage in red, white and black. Not good! I wore it for a few minutes around the house until I decided that I felt completely uncomfortable and when I peeled it off it was not a pretty scene. Ugh. I really need to diet. I decided to wear a pair of black underwear and a black spaghetti strap top and pretend it was a bathing suit! Thankfully Botany Bay is a pretty remote beach and not many people go there!

On the way there we stopped at the gas station and when Robin came back to the car she surprised us with this:

Chicken fried corn on the cob.
Who thinks of stuff like this??



We also saw this really great campaign sign...
It actually scared me a little at the stop light!
I wonder if he won.

We also saw a dinosaur with a bow...

and we sat in a big chair at Geechie Boy Market and Mill!


We always seem to get sidetracked when we drive to Edisto!

The day was gorgeous when we were at the beach I really wanted to get in the water. The problem with this is that Botany Bay has a HUGE shell accumulation and my feet are so incredibly sensitive that even walking on sand hurts. I wore my flip flops in the water to protect me against the shells and we walked out to our hips. The tide was coming in and the waves were big and my flip flips kept folding over and I could barely stand up! Denise and Robin had to help me walk back to the shore minus one shoe... at one point one of my shoes fell off and Denise had to go swimming for it! What a mess!

We decided to sit in the surf to cool off and even that was quite the situation! All three of us had sand in every crevice! It was soooo uncomfortable! I ended up taking my "bathing suit" bottoms off on the beach to shake them out and wash them in the water. There was so much sand in them that I didn't even care about showing my bare butt to everyone! Even with the shake and the wash, there was still sand all over. It was like sandpaper all the way home! Ouch!



Robin waiting patiently... as always!


A Midwesterner in the ocean!






Looking at the fish!


I guess being able to hang out at such a beautiful place with wonderful people makes the ocean and sand-in-my-underwear-loofah-treatment well worth it!

4 comments:

DiscoverEdisto.com said...

I read a lot of edisto blogs and this is one of my favorites so far. I live on Edisto and I have not heard fried corn, which gas station did it come from?

Pamela said...

Thanks so much! The corn is at Dodge's on Hwy 17. Very tasty! I adore Edisto!

Clytie said...

I would think it was definitely worth it! If only for those SHELLS! Did you take some home?

Oh, love the hula girl ...

Pamela said...

No... we didn't take any shells home. The nature reserve of Botany Bay prohibits the taking of anything but pictures! I beleive that originally they let you, but it really changed the look of the beach when the shells were gone so they changed the rules. It's a gorgeous place!