Sunday, September 13, 2015

Check Your Neck!



Have you ever really looked at an image of your skeleton?  It's so weird!!  I was going through some stuff that Robyn​ brought me from my storage in Charleston when she came to visit this past weekend and found a CD - it's the CT scan from my 2010 visit to my ENT which led to my accidental diagnosis of thyroid cancer.

Yeah, that skeleton is me...

Coincidentally it's September and September is Thyroid Cancer Awareness Month.  Speaking of ThyCa.  Can I just say that I don't mind the butterfly being the symbol of thyroid cancer - I get it - the thyroid resembles a butterfly.  However, I really dislike the awareness ribbon colors which are teal and pink.  Two of my least favorite colors.  Blech.  Is that bitchy and trivial?  Probably so, but hey... just my opinion.

meh.

I have told the story about finding the lump, the needle biopsy, surgery and recovery so I won't go into all of that.  It's been 5 years since my thyroidectomy and I still have that little lump that led me to finding out I had cancer.  I sometimes wonder what would have happened if I wasn't concerned about that lump and never went to the doctor.

When looking at the CT image I stare at my thyroid area and try to pinpoint what spots are the calcification and can never figure it out.  Thankfully it wasn't missed by the doctor!  It's kind of weird looking at your own skeleton and then seeing the outer area of my body being so large back then.  So much has changed in 5 years and all for the better.  "New" body, improved health, getting married, moving South of Miami!  If you asked me in 2010 where I would be in 5 years there's no way in hell I would have guessed any of that!! 

 
 Life is a journey, not a destination.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments: