Saturday, May 08, 2010

Dad's Roses

Years ago, along the edge of the screened in porch, my Father planted roses. Each year he would carefully tend to them, making sure they were fertilized and well protected from the nieces and nephews running around. Dad was always so meticulous with the yard. Every Summer he spent loads of time creating little stone surrounded gardens with flowers, plants and bird feeders. He loved his yard and it showed.

I remember Dad talking occasionally on the phone with my Grandfather about how the roses were doing and they would compare rose notes. They had roses in common. When my Father passed away my Grandfather created a small rose garden in his back yard in Illinois in honor of my Father. In the middle of the garden were some American flags and a bowling ball. This was no ordinary bowling ball, though! My Grandfather has spray painted the ball with metallic red, white and blue paint as if it were a gazing ball. I remember the first time I saw it. I was with my Mom and we both kind of looked at each other and laughed. Dad would have thought it was funny. I'll have to dig up a photo of it!

The other day Robin mentioned to me that Dad's roses were blooming. I could not believe that after 7 years with no one caring for them they were still alive! I went out there today and one of the stems is so long that Robin is thinking of bringing the trellis over so it can vine around it. I carried my camera out back and took a photo of one of the buds to send to my Grandfather to show him a bit of Dad is still around!

1 comment:

Clytie said...

What a beautiful rose - and a very poignant moment for you. Yes, it is amazing that a rose without tending is still so beautiful after all that time.

I hope you have a wonderful day!

PS - would love to see the picture of the bowling ball/gazing ball!