Wednesday, June 15, 2011

SoFlo Vacay Part One - Getting There!

So, I don't think I ever mentioned that Robin has been living in Florida since January... or have I? She took a travel nursing position in Delray Beach because sadly, there aren't many well paying RN jobs in Charleston. At the hospital she was working at here in Charleston she kept getting called off work and because she was PRN if she didn't work she didn't get paid. It was getting harder and harder for us to make ends meet so she started looking into travel nursing. Her old boss was working at Delray so she decided to go there since she would know someone. Six months later she's still there.

We are in a much better position financially than we were, but we really want to be on top of things when she comes home. It's been so hard on both of us. Robin has never lived away from home or her parent's so she's been pretty lonely. She comes home from time to time and I've gone to see her twice. I miss her terribly. I think about my Mom and her Navy wife days and how she watched us bratty kids, took care of the home and all of the bills for six, nine or even twelve months at a time while my Father was out to sea. How did she do it? I've been watching the house and taking care of the dogs and it has definitely taken a toll. I have a whole new respect for my Mother and every military wife! I really can't wait for this chapter in our life to be over! I miss her so much.

I haven't taken a true vacation since going to London in 2008 (and even that wasn't the greatest!) Most of my trips have been long weekends and the horrible thing is that when I get home I always need a couple of days to recover! I wanted to take a vacation where all I did was relax and not think of work, the house or the dogs! I wanted to sleep, lay on the beach, get some sun and hang out with my girlfriend! It was time to get away!!

I left for Florida on May 27th after work and decided to stop in Kingsland, Georgia to see Jen (my best friend from 6th grade) and her boyfriend Chris. The drive to Delray is about 9 hours so I thought it might be nice to divide the trip up. On the way to Kingsland I passed a sign on the highway that read "Smallest church in America next right." The sign was partially tucked into the woods and I did a double take when I saw it. How could I not stop at the smallest church in America??

When I turned off the exit in South Newport, Georgia I told myself that I would drive two miles and if I didn't pass it I would turn around. Well, I lucked out because about a mile and a half up the road I came upon this fabulous roadside attraction!!

I noticed a sign on the door that said "Please Close Door When Leaving" - What?! I can go inside, too?? Yes!! I turned the knob and opened the door and the lights automatically turned on!

The inside of the church was the cutest thing ever although it smelled a little musty! There were little knick knacks everywhere! I was trying to take pictures quickly because I parked away from the church, it was getting dark and I was in unfamiliar territory. I was a little bummed that my photos turned out a bit blurry. I love finding places like this! I totally forgot to check to see if there was a cache there... of course there was! I guess I'll just have to go back!!

Jen's house wasn't too far a drive from the church. Chris cooked us dinner and we spent the evening chatting and catching up which was fun. I'm really glad Jen decided to share with me that she has a ferret that roams the house freely because if it had appeared out of nowhere without my knowledge I would have definitely screamed... oh wait - I DID scream when I saw it! I was kind of terrified of it, actually - and I think allergic! I don't think I've ever been around ferrets!

The next morning I left bright and early. I was really excited to see Robin and I had about a 5-hour drive ahead of me. I used to take so many road trips and the drive would never bother me but now I get so restless. Is this what happens when you get old?

After arriving in Delray, Robin and I went and had dinner at Chipotle. We don't have one in Charleston which is totally ridiculous! After Chipotle we went next door and had handmade ice cream at Cream. I had mango, which is always my number one choice. Tasty! After we returned home Robin's roommate wanted to go to Wal Mart so we headed there to pick up some things for the week.

The first couple of days I was in Florida Robin had to work. Day one I hung out by the pool which thankfully was child (and grown-up) free!


A pretty good start to a well-deserved vacation, I think!

2 comments:

Kris said...

Next time you go to Kings Bay you should go to Cumberland Island. I'm sure you could get some great pictures there.

Pamela said...

I would love to visit the ruins of Dungeness! Have you been there? Also, it would be soooo awesome to see the wild horses of the island.