Thursday, February 08, 2007

Snow Rant

Last year after it snowed a couple of inches I was walking to my car and my shoes were absolutely wet. I went and bought some snow boots because having wet shoes isn't much fun, really. Well, after my purchase it didn't snow again for the rest of winter and I never really had the opportunity to wear my boots. Needless to say, I have worn my boots more than I care to discuss this winter. I am over the snow. It needs to go away.

After the last snowfall a couple of weeks ago I let Mother Nature take care of my steps and sidewalk while silently hoping that no one (mostly myself) would not slip and fall while the sun did it's job of melting said snow. I got lucky. I didn't want my luck to run out so after the 5 or 6 inches we got the other day I did some thinking. Maybe if I go out and buy a snow shovel I might have the luck I had when I bought my boots. Perhaps it won't snow again all season!

Tonight I went to Home Depot and bought a shovel. I've never purchased a shovel before, let alone a snow shovel, so I was a bit overwhelmed with the selection. Who knew there were so many kinds of snow shovels!? I bought one that had a fun little ergonomically correct curve to it hoping that after I shovel I won't be totally achy. I came home, put on the snow boots that I have worn too often recently and went to town on my porch, steps and sidewalk.

Shoveling snow is not fun. Where are all the neighborhood kids that need extra cash??

I mean, I did it when I was a kid, but that was for money! I have a bad feeling about the achy thing tomorrow - I think I used the snow shoveling muscles I haven't used since I was a kid. Also, when I came inside my face was frozen and full of hives - yes, I am allergic to the cold! Actually, this is the first time since being in Ohio that I have had the hive thing. It's not very attractive, I'm afraid. I hope the mail carrier appreciates my efforts and leaves me a nice present or something. I am sure she has been cussing me all over the place about having to risk her life to bring me my Netflix movies.

My last thought about Ohio and it's horrible snow problem is this; I CONSTANTLY bitch about the snow and the cold and how it sucks the life out of me. Everyone keeps telling me the same thing "Ohhhhh, this is nothing compared to how it NORMALLY is!!" So, if this is nothing and Ohio is used to MORE snow than 5 or 6 inches, then why is it so freakin' hard to maintain the roads? It started snowing Tuesday around noon and stopped late Tuesday evening. How is it that when I drove to work at 9:30am on Wednesday, there was STILL snow on the road and it was pretty hazardous. Can someone please explain this to me? If it were to snow like everyone tells me it normally does, I can only assume that Dayton is in an emergency state since it can't even keep up with a couple of inches!

Here's hoping my new shovel has the same magical effect on Mother Nature as my boots did!

No comments: