Friday, March 23, 2007

I Have What?!

I woke up yesterday morning and I felt like the Boo Hag had been "ridin" me all night. I had to pry myself out of bed. I felt that dry sinus feeling you get just before you get a cold. When I got to work my throat was so dry and I could not stop drinking. I felt tired all day and knew that I was getting sick. My co-worker, Pam, kept telling me that my eyes looked "weird"... they were watery and itchy all day. When I got home I didn't feel like doing anything. I didn't have much of an appetite and I had to force myself to eat dinner.

This morning I got up and didn't feel much better. I was pretty lethargic and I actually thought about calling in. I got dressed and stopped by Burger King on the way to work. All I wanted was a humongous drink. I didn't really care about the food at all. Around 9:30 I was talking to Belinda and I made the comment that I didn't feel very well. She said that I should go see one of the urgent care doctors downstairs. I told her that I really didn't want to since I had just started working there and my insurance hadn't kicked in. She said "Pam, we're all just a family here..." I thought that was pretty humorous, but apparently she was serious. She called one of the doctors downstairs and told him I was on my way down. I really didn't want to waste their time, but she insisted.

So... after poking, prodding and swabbing me, the doctor said "No wonder over the counter things didn't work for you... you have strep throat!" Okay, I am almost 40 years old and have NEVER had strep throat. Do adults really get that? He gave me a bottle of antibiotics and said told me not to kiss anyone. Hmmmm.

I went upstairs and tried to work the rest of the day, but I started feeling worse. I could not get enough water and I just wanted to lay down! I finished the most important things on my list and told Belinda that I was leaving. It's WONDERFUL being able to leave work without the threat of being fired or written up for having no PTO time. It's nice being treated like an adult at my job! (are you listening Noey and Tina??)

So, I left work and all I wanted was a milkshake from Steak n Shake. A chocolate one. Not McDonalds... not Burger King... but Steak n Shake! Their milkshakes have little ice crystals in them and I appreciate that. It was worth the drive for the cold chocolatey goodness!

On my way home I stopped at a red light and a question came to mind that I have been meaning to ask. It's just another quirk about Ohio that I just don't understand. Why is it that 9 out of 10 red lights will not allow you to make a right-hand turn? It's the most ridiculous thing ever! Every state I have ever lived in allows right turn on red... why not Ohio? Good thing I had to my throat-coating, ice crystal, chocolate milkshake to distract me from being pissed off about it... even if it had whipped cream when I asked for none!

Geez, it's so hard being me!

No comments: