Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Mail Woes & My New BFF

Why is there no other option than to use the United States Postal Service to mail everyday letters? I ask this because I'd really like to boycott them due to their huge screw up with my mail.

On February 11th I did an online mail forward of all of my mail in Ohio to South Carolina since I didn't know how long I would be here. According to the U.S.P.S. it takes 14 days to go into affect. Soon after the 14 days I received about 4 pieces of mail with the little yellow forwarding sticker. This was two weeks ago. I haven't received any forwarded mail since then. Also, over two weeks ago, Justin mailed me a package containing my social security card, DVD's, books and some computer things that was supposed to be 2-day priority. I still haven't received it. Since my mail forward request Justin has not received any mail... until today.

I've called both the Goose Creek and Middletown post offices multiple times only to get the same answers: "I'm sorry, I can't help you" or "There was no delivery confirmation purchased for the package so we can't trace it" or "Everything in our system appears to be correct as far as the forwarding request... we don't know where your mail is!" It has been so frustrating dealing with these people! I told the clerk at the Middletown post office that when someone pays for a service then they should receive the service! She said "what have you paid for??" I then said "um, postage! People have paid postage to mail things to me and they are not arriving! Last I checked U.S.P.S. services weren't free!" I think she neglected to think about that until I brought it up.

Finally, the clerk at the Goose Creek Post Office suggested I contact the Ohio Postal Consumer Affairs office. I called them and he initially told me that same thing: "Everything looks right in our system as far as the mail forwarding request." I was so pissed at that point because I was getting the run around. I asked him if our mail wasn't in Goose Creek and our mail wasn't in Middletown, then where was it?? Of course he didn't have an answer but promised to conduct an investigation into the matter. I was told it would take a couple of days.

So much for two-day priority mail!

Speaking of Goose Creek, yesterday I emailed the Mayor Hietzler asking him about the St. James Goose Creek Church. Several years ago they erected a fence blocking anyone from driving down the gravel road to the church. I stopped last Summer and walked up the lane and was stopped by a gentleman. I was told that the church was private property and I was not allowed, which I could not believe. He gave me the name of the man that is that caretaker of the church grounds. He told me that if I would like permission to go on the land I had to call him. Of course that number is somewhere in my belongings in Ohio.

My email to the Mayor was asking if the church was really private property and could they keep people from visiting the property being that there was a cemetery on the grounds. I received an email from the Mayor saying this:

****************************************
From: Michael Heitzler
To: Pamela
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 7:09 AM
Subject: RE: St. James Goose Creek Church

Pamela,
You have asked many questions and I prefer to speak to you on the phone. Will you send me your phone number so I may call and answer your many questions more thoroughly than E-mail?
Mike
****************************************

Um, okay... I emailed him back with my phone number and he called later in the afternoon from his home. That was cool, but kind of strange.


We chatted for a while about the history of Goose Creek and I think he was surprised that I found the Goose Creek Chapel of Ease cemetery. Apparently he had the same problem finding the cemetery and unnecessarily walked through the woods as well - he was lucky enough to be tick-free upon exiting! He told me that he does a history lecture series in the fall and invited me to attend. He then went on to tell me about the Goose Creek Church that I love so much and that it is, in fact, on private property. The church has been owned by the Goose Creek Vestry since 1706. He told me that when he visits the church he parks at the gate and walks and has never had a problem. I said "Of course, not... you are the Mayor!" He told me that if I ever want to visit the church he'd be happy to meet me and I told him I might take him up on his offer.

Once a year they have service at the church and I was never sure about the date. Mayor Heitzler told me that it is the Sunday after Easter so I will be sure to attend. In 24 years I've only been in the church once and can't wait to go again!

Here are the pictures I took on that day as well as some old postcards and photos that I've scanned over the years: http://www.flickr.com/photos/skitpero/sets/72157606376097281/

Maybe I will try to "trespass" again in the next few days during business hours. If I get stopped I will just tell them that Mayor Heitzler is my new BFF!

No comments: