Thursday, June 28, 2012

Earth Wind & Fire

Every once in while my good friend Devin, who covers concerts & does CD reviews for a couple of Charleston newspapers, treats me to a show.  He asked me the other night if I would like to go see Earth Wind & Fire at the North Charleston Coliseum.  Um, YEAH!  I was super excited to see them.  I think they are one of those legendary acts that you should really see before you (or them!) die!  Devin told me that he saw them last year at the Dock Street Theater.  Wow.  I can't even imagine seeing such a dynamic, bigger than life band in such a tiny venue!

For the first part of the show I sat by myself while Devin was up front taking photos of the bands.  I always enjoy people watching at large events and this one did not disappoint.  It was such a bizarre mix of people!  I wasn't really enjoying the opening band and I was starving since I went home and changed clothes and went directly to the coliseum - no time to eat!  I decided to get a hot dog and a soda.  Our whole row was practically empty so it wasn't a problem getting in and out.  Loved that!  In between acts I spent my time playing Words With Friends and surfing Facebook.  I get so aggravated at the short battery life of my phone.  grrr! 

A couple songs into the main show I was joined by Devin.  I was so amazed by the energy of Earth Wind & Fire!  The original three members are in their 60's and they didn't stop moving from the beginning of the show to the end!  They had a large screen in back of the stage and they would occasionally play old 70's videos of the band singing the same song they were playing.  I thought that was really cool.  They played all their hits and the crowd was going crazy.  There were these people directly in front of us that were completely entertaining to me.  I can't remember what song it was but this one woman practically fell out when they started playing it.  She threw herself back, collapsed in her chair and flailed her arms about in total pleasure.  Devin leaned over to me and said "This is her jam!"  Oh my god!  I almost peed it was so funny!

I took a couple of pics with my phone.  I would have brought my Canon but Robin spitefully kept it.  Not sure why since she has her own camera and isn't interested in photography.  She claims I "gave" it to her but why would I give my partner my camera that I had before I even met her??  When you are in a relationship don't you "use" your partner's stuff and if you break up you give it back?  Yeah, that's what I thought too.

Yeah, it was taken with my EVO.  Crappy quality, I know!

Earth Wind & Fire bokeh.  I found this amusing.

You can find Devin's review here!

No comments: