Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Fruit & Underwear

I miss buying fruit in the South. I miss driving down Highway 17 after a day at the beach and seeing the farmers with their trucks on the side of the road selling their fresh vegetables and fruit. I miss being able to buy a half bushel of peaches or nectarines for a couple of bucks and enjoying them for the rest of the drive... wind-blown hair, salt on our skin and peach juice dripping down our chins. Yep, I miss that.

Today I was at Wal-Mart and saw that watermelon's were on "sale" for $3.00. Normally they are about $4.99 throughout the summer so I usually go without, even though I love watermelon (actually that goes for most fruit in Ohio!) I decided to be adventurous and bought one for myself. I worked in the grocery store business for 7 (long!) years so I pretty much know how to tell if fruit is ripe or not. After checking out the melons I picked one and tried to be optimistic about it being a good one. After a couple of hours chilling the fridge I cut it open and it was just mediocre. I just give up. I had the same problem when I lived in Illinois - the fruit was ridiculously expensive and never REALLY good.

I hate to be snatchy about fruit but I'm having a moment.

After my Wal-Mart excursion I was taking out my trash and to do so I have to walk out my kitchen door, then through the back door, across the back yard and into the garage to the back alley. When I walked out into the backyard I noticed something colorful on the ground. It was a pair of my underwear. They were flattened and quite dirty. I picked them up and they were as stiff as a board (not by my doing, mind you!) How odd is that?! The only time I go in the backyard (aka "poopville" thanks to my landlord and his two dogs) is to take out the trash. I parked in the garage a couple of times this past winter but that's about it.

How did my underwear end up in the back yard? It's just weird.

No comments: