Sunday, April 04, 2010

BlackBerry Love

How did I ever live without a BlackBerry?

A couple of weeks ago Robin was getting the laundry out of the washer and I was sitting on the couch. I heard her say something and when I looked up I saw her bow her head. A couple of minutes later she walked over to me and handed me my phone. It was more than a little wet! I guess I left it on the bed when I woke up and when Robin washed the sheets my phone was wrapped up in them. I just looked at her and said "you know all my contacts are in there..." and she just said "I know." We put the phone in some rice to dry it out then Robin started getting dressed. I asked her were she was going and she said she was heading out to get me a new phone. I told her that they didn't sell those phones in the store anymore. She said the she knew I needed a phone and she would get me something else. I couldn't go with her because we were waiting for a friend to come over. I told her I was afraid that she would get something that I would hate and she asked me what kind of phone I wanted. Without hesitation I said "BlackBerry" and she left.

I was really wondering how she was going to get to the store and back in time to go to dinner, but she managed to do it. The first store she went to was just the service center and of course my phone was beyond service so she had to go to the store that was actually closer to our house. I have no idea how she did it, but she returned with new BlackBerry in hand and I didn't ask questions!

Unfortunately, my plan is with Sprint and my contract doesn't end for another year or else I would have switched to an iPhone. For the time being, I have to say that I LOVE this phone! Tonight I uploaded all of my recipes so when I go shopping all I have to do is pull up a recipe to get the ingredients. Before, I was carrying my iPod in the store as well as my phone but now I have it all in one! It's the small things in life! I sent Robin an email from my phone with a recipe attached and told her that from now on, if I need her to go to the grocery store to get ingredients all I have to do is email her the recipe. Yay! I am sure she was less than thrilled at that idea!

Speaking of food, I have been thinking about my surgery that is happening on Monday morning and how uncomfortable it will be to eat afterward. Ive been thinking of soft foods that I should buy that will be easy to swallow. I was thinking of making some things tomorrow to have on hand for the following week. Warm and soft... that's what I'm thinking.

The whole idea of having surgery and the possibility of having cancer is so surreal. The reality that I am going under anesthesia and getting my throat sliced open hasn't really hit yet. It is getting more real as the deed draws near, but I think it won't really hit me until Monday morning. To be honest, I'm a little freaked out about it and mildly scared. The only surgeries I have had is carpal tunnel and laser lithotripsy for a kidney stone. Both were under anesthesia, but for the carpal tunnel I was awake and could actually feel them digging around my hand. It didn't hurt, but I was pretty disturbed about being able to feel it.

I have to arrive at St. Francis at 6am and surgery is scheduled at 8am. Dr. McNellis told me to prepare to stay overnight but there was a possibility that he may let me go home. I am a little worried about the fact that I can't have anything to eat or drink after midnight and by the time surgery is over it will be close to lunch time. I am more than positive I won't be able to eat for a few hours and being a diabetic, if I don't eat on a regular schedule I get absolutely nauseated. Because of this, I'm going to request to stay overnight. The only time I've stayed overnight in a hospital is when my Dad was sick. I think hospitals are pretty creepy so it's not something I'm real thrilled about. I'm so glad that Robin will be there with me. I can't even imagine not having her in my life. It's hard enough working opposite schedules!

I took the week off and hopefully will not experience too much pain after surgery. I would love to be able to use the healing time to get some stuff done in the house and also be able to spend some time outdoors. Since the Lucas ordeal, Robin and I haven't had much quality time together so I hope we will be able to do some fun stuff during the week. If not, I suppose the couch and I will become BFF's!

It's now 4:43am and Robin came home early. I'm awake because I had a headache and slept all day. Now it's time to go to Waffle House for a tasty Waffle! Yum!


Beth Niquette said...

Wow--you're faceing a lot.

I will be praying for you and for Robin. Keep us up on how you are, k? ((hugs))

Clytie said...

You and Robin are in my thoughts and prayers, you know. Going under the knife is never fun, and being a diabetic ... well, that's an additional complication.

I hope you have a wonderful Easter - don't let the stress get to you.

Please keep us up to date on the results of your surgery, okay?